As exciting as it can be to take on a new job in a new city, the process of relocation can be a highly stressful affair. Take advantage of these moving and self storage tips to make your relocation as painless as possible.
- Start Early: Relocating for a job means you may not have a ton of time to plan the move, but it’s still in your best interest to start as early as possible. Pack your first box the day you find out you’ll need to relocate. Spread the task over as many days as possible, and you’ll find it much easier.
- Label Everything: Use a color-coded or numbered system to assign boxes to rooms. For instance, you might put a bit of blue tape on every box bound for the kitchen, then put up another blue mark in the kitchen itself when you arrive. That way, you and anyone helping you can quickly put everything in the correct room.
- Bring an Overnight Bag: It’s almost impossible to have all of your things unpacked and ready to use on the day of the move. Pack a single bag with all of your essentials: a change of clothes, toiletries, perhaps a charger for your mobile phone. That way, you’ll be able to live stress-free during the relocation process.
- Outsource: See if you can negotiate relocation services with your future employers. Some companies will pay for a professional moving service to pack, move and unpack all of your belongings.
- Use Self Storage: Especially if you’re relocating to a smaller home, self storage can help you keep all of your belongings until you get settled in. It can be hard to know just how much space you will have or how your furniture will fit within a new home until you have lived there for a while. Consider moving only the essentials into your new residence at first. As you adjust to life in your new space, you can make informed decisions as to which belongings will make the cut.
Here are a few self storage tips in mind when you relocate: Know how much you have to store so you can get the right size unit, and don’t forget to buy insurance to protect your valuable belongings.
To find a storage facility in your new city, search FindLocalStorage.com, the easy online storage locator.