Self storage units are a great way to store items that you might not have room for in your home, especially precious pieces such as glass and crystal that deserve to have a special storage area. Since glass is breakable, there are tips you can follow to ensure that your valuable glass items will be safe until you are ready to use them.
Wrapping Your Items
1. According to www.extraspace.com, you need to use quality materials to keep your glassware and crystal safe from breakage. There are actually kits you can purchase specifically for dishes and glassware that include a strong box, separators made out of cardboard, and foam protectors for your individual pieces. These protection kits can be purchased at your local storage unit facility and are a wise investment.
2. You may also want to use bubble wrap for individual pieces. If you do so, you will need to keep in mind that bubble wrap takes up more room. You will not be able to fit as many items in each box when you use this type of protection, although the wrap is very effective in cushioning individual pieces. If you have a limited amount of glass and crystal to store, it should not be a problem if more boxes are needed.
3. Large Tupperware containers with handles can be used in the place of boxes. They provide sturdy support for your fragile glass and crystal pieces. They are also easy to stack.
4. Felt sheets or paper towels of a higher quality are often used to protect valuable items. You can wrap felt and/or towels around each individual piece along with placing bubble wrap around every item to afford as much protection as possible. Remember not to wrap your pieces too tightly, as this can cause breakage. Be especially careful when wrapping wine glasses, as the stems can easily break. Also use caution when it comes time to unwrap your pieces.
Stacking Your Items
1. When stacking boxes in your storage unit, always put heavier boxes on the bottom and boxes of a lighter weight on top. You do not want to crush your valuable pieces by placing a heavy box on top of a lighter one.
2. If you are using a combination of boxes and Tupperware or other plastic containers, you can place the plastic containers on the bottom and put your boxes on top, since plastic is very sturdy and will hold the weight of the boxes more easily. Also, you do not want to allow your boxes to become too heavy in weight. It will be better for you to use more boxes than to pack each one with too many items. Make certain that boxes are evenly balanced.
Self storage units offer a way to store valuable glass and crystal items. They ensure peace of mind by providing a safe haven for articles that might be irreplaceable. Find local storage in your area for your valuable items.