With the beginning of a new year, the international Self Storage Association has released a recap of the self storage industry in 2013. The report includes an interesting fact sheet that highlights the industry’s current status and shows that there is a lot more to self storage than people often realize. While the entire list is worth checking out, consider these five interesting facts about self storage:
1. There are 7.3 square feet of self storage space for every person in the United States.
In other words, it is possible for everyone in the country to stand in a self storage unit at the same time. This serves as a reminder that there is ample space at a storage facility near you, so stop cramming things into that overly crowded basement!
2. 65 percent of people who use self storage units have a garage. Forty seven percent have an attic, and 33 percent have a basement. The amount of space in your home does not dictate how useful a self storage unit may be. Many people choose to store their belongings in secure facilities instead of sacrificing their living space.
3. Over the last four decades, self storage has been one of the fastest growing industries in the United States. More Americans are discovering and utilizing the power of extra space every day. The industry has become an important part of the nation’s economy.
4. Almost half of people who use self storage earn less than $50,000 per year. 63 percent earn less than $75,000. People of all socioeconomic backgrounds use self storage. You do not have to be wealthy to afford quality storage.
5. The United States is home to thousands of privately-held self storage companies. This includes 30,800 companies that own smaller regional facilities. Self storage companies are often locally owned and operated, making them integral parts of the community.